You are here
Want of Confidence in Minister for Human Services
Type of vote: Motion (Amendment)
Moved by: Greens
Wednesday, 14 October 2020
An Amendment was proposed by Ms O’Connor:
In paragraph (3) by leaving out “stolen” and inserting instead “borrowed”.
By leaving out Paragraph 7.
A Motion being made and the Question being proposed—That the House has no confidence in the Minister for Human Services for the following reasons:—
(1) Serious allegations have been raised about the mistreatment of children in the Many Colours 1 Direction Program.
(2) The Minister has repeatedly assured this Parliament and the people of Tasmania that children in the Many Colours 1 Direction program in the Northern Territory are safe and are being successfully rehabilitated.
(3) Video evidence has emerged which shows a participant in the program allegedly speeding in a stolen vehicle, risking the safety of themselves and members of the public.
(4) The video was provided to the Minister’s office on 5 October and the Minister viewed the footage on October 7.
(5) The Minister knew about this incident when he claimed children in the program were safe.
(6) The Minister has actively played down concerns about the safety of the children in the program, including describing the disturbing incident of a child stealing a vehicle and speeding through a community areas as “more of a joyride.”
(7) Despite the Minister viewing the footage on October 7, the Premier told the Parliament he did not become aware of the incident until October 13.
(8) The Minister has demonstrated such appalling judgement that he cannot be responsible for the care of vulnerable children and he is unfit to be a Minister of the Crown.
Amendment - 14 Oct 2020 (Negatived)
Amendment to replace "stolen" with "borrowed" and remove clause 7.
Other - 14 Oct 2020 (Passed)
Amendment to Motion to suspend standing orders to place a time limit on the confidence debate.